Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary II • 3mo.

how can i know a French noun is countable or uncountable? the French dictionary doesn't show the property.

many nouns i can guess. but not every one. for example, i guess "dessert" is uncountable but countable.

French

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 3mo.

Hello NaiveApple! :)

Once again, it's a really good question! :)

Nouns are countable when they can be quantified. They are then used with a numeral determiner.

Ex. : «chat» (cat), «livre» (book), «voiture» (car), «amis» (friends).

Uncountable nouns possess the uncountable trait when they are not quantifiable.

Ex. : «eau» (water), «temps» (time/weather), «argent» (money), «musique» (music).

Some nouns can have either the countable or uncountable trait depending on the context in which they are used. To check if a noun is countable or uncountable, one must verify if it can be accompanied by a numeral determiner or a partitive determiner.

Ex. :

• Countable : Il faut deux farines différentes pour faire ce pain. (Two different flours are needed to make this bread).
    • Uncountable : J’ajoute de la farine pour épaissir cette sauce (I add flour to thicken this sauce). 

**Our factsheet on the partitive determiner is currently only available in French. However, we are working very hard to make it available in English very soon!

I hope this information helps clarify things for you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions! :)

Marilee

Ask a question