Skip to content

Zone d’entraide

Question de l’élève

Secondaire 1 • 2a

How do Earth’s spheres interact with each other? Please explain the question to me, as I do not understand it.

Sciences

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explications (1)

• Explication d'Alloprof

Explication d'Alloprof

Cette explication a été donnée par un membre de l'équipe d'Alloprof.

Options
    Équipe Alloprof • 2a

Thank you for your question!

As you may already know, the Earth can be divided into four spheres according to its characteristics: the hydrosphere, the atmosphere, the lithosphere, and the biosphere.

The hydrosphere regroups all the water on Earth, whether it is in liquid (water), solid (glaciers, ice, snow, etc.), or gaseous (clouds, vapor, etc.) state of matter.

The atmosphere is the thin gaseous layer that coats the Earth. It is composed of a mixture of gases like oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide.

The lithosphere consists of the crust of the Earth and the upper part of its mantle. Rocks and minerals are its main constituents, and various features, called “relief”, adorn its surface: from mountains and plains to plateaus and shields.

The biosphere consists of all living things on Earth. Plants, animals, and microorganisms are all part of the biosphere.

Obviously, Earth’s spheres are not static entities that don’t interact with each other; they affect each other, and their complex interplay makes way for all kinds of natural phenomena. In fact, this is what the question refers to when it talks of interaction between Earth’s spheres.

For example, the lithosphere interacts with the atmosphere to produce winds. For example, valley winds are formed when the Sun heats a mass of air (atmosphere), thus pushing it up along the slopes of a valley (lithosphere).

Another example is that of living organisms (biosphere) that drink water (hydrosphere).

I hope you found my answer helpful :).

Don’t hesitate to ask us other questions!

Poser une question