Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary V • 3d
IMG_0707.jpeg

Hello, I need help with the question above :) I’m not able to determine any points from this graph since I’m not sure if the function actually touches the y-axis. I think I need some clarification! Thank you so much!

Mathematics

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 3d

Hi AdorableApatosaurus7671,

Thanks for your question :)

Actually, the hardest part of this exercise is to schematize it correctly. There is not only one way to do it; everything depends on the reference you choose.

I chose to place my y-axis passing through the top left point of the lawn and the x-axis passing through the bottom part. Once our reference is set, we can start finding the coordinates of the other points. For example, the top left part of the lawn would have coordinates (0, 20), and the top right part (10, 20).

Also, since we know it is symmetrical, we know that the bottom part has the same midpoint as the top part, which is x = 5. If our bottom part is 3 meters long, we can determine the coordinates of these points.

With all these coordinates, we will be able to find the equations of the two square root functions. If you need a reminder on that, here is something that will help you: https://www.alloprof.qc.ca/en/students/vl/mathematics/square-root-function-m1131

Lastly, once we have our equations, we will need to find the coordinates of the points crossed by the pavement. With the information we have, we already know that the ordinate is 16, but we will need to find the abscissa, and then we will be able to calculate the length of the pavement!

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions :)"

Sandrine

Ask a question